I finally decided how to move along with the Floating Squares score (see Big Noise). After more than three weeks of
- dithering about the density and saturation of my colors,
- thinking about adding some ‘negative space’ fabric
- considering many suggestions from folks here and on the Improv Quilters FB page,
l finally made a decision to honor my original intention, sort of. I actually like the mashup of intense prints all together, but I still felt some open air was needed in the piece. My original choice for this was too dark and muddy. I found this piece of fabric that I thought worked a lot better. It is a mixed up collage of slightly yellowed newsprint from French newspapers, which appear to deal with theater reviews of a time gone by. Names like Sarah Bernhardt and Mme. Modjeska appear here and there. It is almost a floating squares score in itself. Rather than use it to equalize my large units internally, I used it around the edges, in the wings, as it were. I had twenty large units to start with, but only used sixteen of them in the end keeping the overall piece at about 45″ x 60″ in size.
Satisfactions: I stuck to my guns, and never once picked up my ruler. My freehand cutting and piecing is getting technically better. I managed to piece together all these differently-shaped pieces and keep the overall piece fairly flat–which the photo doesn’t demonstrate…I only had one place where I could hang it and photograph it, in the garage, and the mise en scene and stage-lighting are not ideal. Dissatisfaction: I wasted way too long over-thinking it. Surprise: I still like it now it’s done. Discovery: I had a nice big piece of made fabric left over, the discarded row, and have already started doing something else with it! Stay tuned.
Now it goes in the quilting queue. After it is quilted, I will bring it back out for a curtain call!