This net was made by sandwiching pieces of decorative yarns, ribbons, and threads between two layers of Solvy Ultra (water soluble stabilizer). I pinned and clipped these layers together and stitched a frame around the outside. Here’s the sandwich under the needle, after the initial square frame was stitched.
I used my 1911 Singer model 66-1 for this project. I love to use this machine because it is so smooth, reliable, quiet and placed at a window where I have a nice view. It’s very meditative, and sews a better seam than most of my newer machines.
Here is the piece after I had completed the stitching of the net.
The next step was to trim off the excess Solvy film in the margins, then immerse the whole thing in water. I dissolved and rinsed out most of the Solvy glue, but left in a little to assist with shaping. Then I blocked it with pins and let it dry in a 3-D rumpled shape, as a net might be when thrown out to dry. (Here a tip of the hat and good hopes for all the crab fishermen who could not fish this winter on our coast, due to the closure of the Dungeness crab fishery in Northern California). Anyhow, here is a shot of the drying phase.
The Made On Monday site is live here. New artist pages are being created often. Be sure to check it out!